Life through a different lens

Friday, May 22, 2009

Living Life as a Yet – Part I

Living large means standing above the crowd.

Most of us have certain traits that make us special and unique. One of mine is living life large. By large, I’m talking about the physical height and size of my body. I’ve had to endure a lifetime of living taller than most, which has put me in several circumstances where being tall is a disadvantage. Below is a list of small grievances.

1) Most of the time when I go in a restroom, I find that the mirrors have been installed at an elevation for an “average height” person. I normally get to see what I look like from the chin down because the mirrors are not tall enough or the top of the mirror is set at a lower level than what I need. I usually have to lean over to see what’s going on with my Yet style hair.

2) Also in the bathroom, at my height, those partitions that are suppose to give privacy for others don’t really do their job when the urinal is positioned right next to a stall. It’s difficult for me to use the urinal when I can see someone sitting in the stall with my peripheral vision. I don’t dare do a full look (see bathroom etiquette blog). It throws off all concentration.

3) Another thing that amazes me is that I get used as a human fork lift. When I walk through stores, I get asked by customers to get stuff down from top shelves all the time. I don’t work for the store nor do I want the lawsuit when the item slips out of my “oversized” hands and hits you on the head.

4) That brings me to another topic - my “oversized” hands. People are in awe at the difference in size of my hands compared to theirs. They have me do the old “put your hands up to mine” routine. They are amazed to the point of doing everything but calling me a freak of nature (I’m not a freak of nature). I mean come on…look at how much taller I am than you. It is a proportion thing. My hands will be larger than yours. If they weren’t, I would be so out of proportion that I would look like a freak of nature.

5) Something else that’s not convenient is seating space at sporting events, movies, airplanes, etc... Seating space for my long legs is a premium. I usually have to swing my legs to the side so that I fit in the space between my seat and the seat in front of me. However, when I swing my legs to the side, I take up space for the person sitting next to me. If I am sitting next to a friend on one side and a stranger on the other, I will swing my legs towards my friend. Sorry, it’s the price you pay for associating with me. I usually try and snag an isle seat if I have a choice so I can swing my legs out. But then by doing that, I usually end up getting my feet stepped on or worse yet, accidentally tripping someone as they walk past.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment